A Greener, Healthier Lagos
To Create A Beautiful, Safe And Healthy State Through The Establishment Of Functional Parks, Gardens And Recreational Centres In Line With International Standards And Best Practices.
- Team Work
- Environmental Friendliness & Partnership
- To restore the lost glory of Lagos as a beautiful and healthy state
- To achieve the Millennium Development Goal 7 (MDG) by ensuring environmental sustainability
- To mitigate the impact of climate change
- Enhance the aesthetics of the environment
The mandate of Lagos State Parks and Gardens Agency (LASPARK) is to make Lagos greener and healthier through the creation and maintenance of functional and operational parks and gardens, planting and maintenance of trees.
LASPARK was established to take over the assignment of the greening initiative of the State Government from the Conservation and Ecology Department of the Ministry of the Environment (Office of the Environmental Services) by the enactment of Lagos State Parks and Gardens Agency Law No. 13, 2011 and took off July 2012.
The Agency in its few years of existence has further consolidated on the huge achievements of the Ministry of the Environment with the establishment of more gardens and parks. Till date 327 parks and gardens have been captured by the Agency and maintained statewide. Out of which 212 were established by the state government, 85 by private concerns and 31 established in schools.
Operation Green Lagos is anchored on the policy thrust of the present administration of economic sustainability through infrastructural renewal and poverty alleviation.
One of the most visible evidence of this transformation agenda which has continued to attract both local and international commendations for the state is the tree planting, landscaping, and beautification programmes in line with the environmental vision of a flood free, hygienic and beautiful Lagos as encapsulated in the ten point agenda of the State Government.
The Ministry of the Environment in 2008 started aggressive tree planting campaign to complement the beautification and landscaping programmes of the Conservation and Ecology Department of the Ministry whose efforts has recorded a modest achievement.
There is no doubt that the global warming is real and the effect of extreme weather conditions around the world has drawn a wakeup call, thus, Lagos and indeed Nigeria, is no exception to its negative impact, like the flooding we experienced in June, 2011.
The greening initiative of the Lagos State Government was therefore conceived not just to beautify the environment but as a deliberate effort to mitigate the effect of climate change, save the environment and protect our future and
Consequently, the Lagos State Parks and Gardens Agency (LASPARK) was created to sustain the modest achievement of the Ministry of the Environment in the area of environmental regeneration and restoration and through the provision of parks, gardens and recreational centres state-wide.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES under going green
- To restore order, and improve quality of life in the neighbourhood.
- Mitigate the effect of climate change.
- Ensure environmentally sustainable, healthier and beautiful society.
- Aimed at reclaiming open spaces from all agents of environmental degradation.
- Preserving the biodiversity and ecosystem of the environment
FUNCTIONS OF THE AGENCY
- Administer, maintain and manage all designated parks and gardens in the state.
- Carry out the general directives and policies of the government in respect of the development, maintenance and management of parks, recreation centres, gardens, playing grounds and open spaces in the state.
- Grant permits on the payment of the prescribed fees in any of the open spaces in the parks or gardens managed by the agency.
- Regulate the hours of use of the open spaces in the state parks or gardens by members of the public.
- Provide and maintain adequate security and environmental sanitation facilities for the state parks, gardens, open spaces and recreation centres.
- Promote afforestation in all ramifications in the state.
- Enumerate and tag all trees within the state inclusive of those in private tenements.
- Monitor and supervise pruning and felling of trees within the state.
- Advise on all matters relating to the greening programme of the state.
- Cause fund for the maintenance of parks and gardens.
- Carry out such other assignment as may from time to time be directed by the Governor
Lagos State Parks and Gardens Agency
Plot 2, Lateef Junaid Dosumu Street, CBD,
Agidingbi, Ikeja, Lagos.
LASPARK TOLL FREE LINE